This fresh take on a classic Colombian dish swaps beef steak for cauliflower “steak”, offering a lighter, yet still deliciously satisfying dish that’s fun to share with vegans and carnivores alike. Widely considered an Argentinian condiment, chimichurri is also popular in Colombia, where the addition of cilantro gives an extra kick of flavor to this already zesty sauce. You’ll find those same punchy flavors in this avocado crema, which lends a creamy component to the dish, as well as a boost of heart-healthy unsaturated fat. Cauliflower is rich in vitamin C, fiber, antioxidants, choline and sulfur, which has a detoxifying effect on the body. If you have access to a grill, you can also grill the cauliflower steaks over medium-high heat for 3-4 minutes per side.
Total Time: 25 minutes
- 1 ripe avocado, peeled and pitted
- Juice of 1 lime (plus more to taste)
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 garlic clove, peeled
- ½ cup fresh parsley
- ½ cup fresh cilantro
- 1 scallion, green and white parts, chopped
- 3 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1 head cauliflower, cut vertically through the stem into 1-inch thick steaks (you should get 4-5 steaks)
- Olive oil to cook cauliflower
- ½ cup panko breadcrumbs
- Salt and pepper to taste
- In a blender or food processor, combine the avocado, lime juice, olive oil, garlic clove, parsley, cilantro, scallion, vinegar and a pinch of salt and pepper. Blend to combine until completely smooth, adding a splash of cold water if needed to smooth it out. Taste and adjust seasoning as needed, then set aside.
- In a large cast iron skillet over medium-high heat, add 1 tablespoon olive oil and 1-2 of the cauliflower steaks in an even layer, depending on the size of your pan. Sprinkle with salt and pepper, and allow to cook for 5-6 minutes, until deeply golden brown, before turning to the other side and cooking for an additional 5-6 minutes. Set aside and cook the remaining cauliflower steaks.
- In a small bowl, combine the panko with 2 tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil and a pinch of salt and pepper. Stir well to combine.
- To serve, spread ¼ of the chimichurri crema on each plate, top each with a cauliflower steak, and sprinkle with the panko to taste. Enjoy!